It's Friday! This is a friday dish for the family. Everything in one pot....Simplified Paella. Whenever I want to cook simple, this will be one of the dish in the list. Family love paella.
In this dish, I find the most expensive ingredients is saffron. Find fairprice selling one small tiny box for $10.90. Few months ago, passed by Mustafa. Grabed 2 big packets from the store. If you are using it often, it is more economical to buy bigger packet.
If you couldn't get saffron, you may try using tumeric powder to substitute the colour. Using tumeric powder is more economical than using saffron. However, it may taste a little different. But it should be nice. As I do use tumeric powder for frying pineapple rice. And it taste wonderful. Cooking is an art! You can try with different ingredients and usually you make your own family signature dish because of the unique way you cook and ingredients added. I do that all the time and also I like to modify dish to my desire taste. For instance for this round I had used long grains rice instead of short grains rice.
Present to you Simplified Paella. I hope you will like it.
2 cups long grain rice*
3 cups ready stock/water(See note)
200g sabu sabu pork cut into small ppieces
1/2 yellow big onion chopped
3 cloves of garlic minced
1/2 cup frozen green pea
8 prawns removed shell
4 middle size squids cut into ring
1/2 lemon cut into wedges
1tbsp fish sauce
1 large pinch of saffron
1/2 tsp paprika power (optional)
2tbsp olive oil/ any cooking oil
1. Prepare a 28cm or 32cm non-stick wok with lid
2. Season pork with 1tbsp of light soy sauce and pepper and corn flour. Set a sie.
Season prawns and squids with 1/2 tsp of salt and pepper. Set a side.
3. Wash rice once with water. Pour away water. set a side.
4. Heat up wok. Pour in olive oil. Add chopped onion and minced garlic. Stir fry until onion turn translucent and garlic turn light brown, add pork and continue to stir fry for few more seconds.
5. Add washed rice into wok. Add a bunch of saffron and paprika. Stir fry for another few seconds. Then add stock. Add fish sauce. Cover the wok with lid. Bring the rice to boil then lower to medium fire to continue cooking the rice. Approximate 15min.
6. When the rice is about to dry ( app 15min later), open lid and add green pea andlay the prawn and squids on top of rice. Then cover and continue to cook for another 5min or until prawns and squids are fully cooked. Off fire and lay lemon on the rice. Serve!
Note: If use water instead of ready stock, you may need to add seasoning to your desire taste. Usually if using water, this is my seasoning:
1tsb chicken stock powder
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1/2 tbsp fish sauce
* Note2: Usually I used short grains rice.
Post a Comment