Monday, 23 November 2015
Yoghurt Bread (Happy Loaf 开心面包)
I am so happy with this recipe. Using very little flour but yield a big loaf of bread. Thanks Joni Lian for sharing Eugenia Teo's recipe.
This morning i started making the yoghurt which took 3 hours to "curd". After it curd, kept in the refrigerator for a while as I planned to bake the loaf only in the mid afternoon. I scooped the necessary amount out and leave it in room temperature for an hour.
My Bread Maker max capacity is 750g. I was a little worried initially when it started to proof until very high. However, thank God though it went above but the baking tin is big enough to contain the loaf. Whew! I think it yield like a 1000g loaf. So we called this happiness loaf. Because we are all so happy when the loaf is done.
Encourage you to try. It is very soft. This bread texture is very good and chewy and soft and fluffy and light. Nice bread.
This bread remain soft like cotton,chewy, fluffy and light even until next day.
Basic recipe adopted from Eugenia Teo's recipe (via Joni Lian)
150g Fresh Milk ( I used Hokkaido milk)
100g Strawberry yogurt (I used homemade plain)*
1g Salt (i used 1/4 tsp) ***
60g Sugar(I used 20g)
20g Milk powder (4 tbsp)
300g Bread flour
5g yeast( I used 1 1/2tsp instant yeast)
30g Butter (I used salted butter. Room temperature)
*Note: Let yoghurt stand in room temperature for about 45mins to an hour.
***to increase salt to 3/4tsp the next round. Would think it will taste better as I had reduced the sugar.
Directions using Bread Maker:
1)Place fresh milk, yoghurt, sugar, salt, milk powder and bread flour into the tin of the bread machine (according to the sequence as stated in the instruction manual of your bread machine). Make an indentation on the flour and add in the instant yeast. Then cover the yeast with some of the flour.
2) I use Setting 1 from my Bread Maker( Soft Bread mode) Light crust, 750g. You may adjust according to you Bread Maker's instruction. My BM indicated it take 2hrs 55mins to complete the cycle.
3) After few minutes add butter when above 1) formed into a dough. Then you can relax and let the bread maker to the rest of the job..when the cycle is completed you will have a freshly baked loaf.
4) When the loaf is ready, there will be a continuous beep sound. Remove tin and shake out the loaf onto a rack and leave to cool. Appro. an hour. Slice it and serve.
Direction using mixer and oven:
Though I have not use this dough to bake in oven. However, this will be the method I will use. You may refer to my post Buns for Breakfast.
1. Combine all ingredients in a mixer with hook on low speed till it becomes a dough. *If you are using butter , add it after beating for about 5 mins with the mixer then add in the butter and beat for another 15mins till smooth. Remove from mixer bowl and let it proof till it doubles its size.
2. Remove to a lightly floured surface and divide the dough into 2 portions. Shape it round and covered and let it proof for 45mins or almost double in size. Depend on weather. Hot weather proof faster.
3. Once the dough rise to double size, you can start to cut and shape into your desire bun or bread. While working on the dough to shape, you may need extra flour. Once it is shaped, place them onto baking tin(loaf) or tray(buns) lay with parchment paper.
4. Brush buns with egg and bake in preheated oven at 180°C for 15-20mins (buns) 35mins (loaf) or until the top of bun is golden brown.
Remove from oven , wait for several mins and remove the bread from pan and let it cool completely on the wire rack.
You may use these bun or loaf to make chicken patties buns or chicken sandwich. See my post on Homemade Chicken Patties Sandwich
Refer to recipe Homemade Yoghurt
You may be interested in
1) wholemeal-yoghurt-loaf which uses wholemeal flour.
3) wholemeal-rolled-oat-bread (yudane method)