Bought a yam sometime ago wanted to make "Orh Ni", however, was too busy and left the yam in the fridge. To prevent yam spoiled, today I made it into steam yam cake, chinese called it Orh Kueh.
2 1/2 bowl of rice flour
4 1/2 bowls of water
1/2 Medium size Yam(shredded)
1/2 carrot (shredded)
1tbsp dried shrimp ( minced)
5 shitake mushrooms (diced)
1/2 cup tbsp minced meat (optional)
4-5 small red onion/shallots (minced)
Some oil for frying
2-3 tsp sea salt
1 tsp chicken powder
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp five spice powder
2 tsp sugar
1Tbsp fish sauce
1 Tbsp light sauce
Note: bowl refer to rice bowl. 1 rice bowl appr equivalent to 1 cup
1. Mix rice flour with water. Add salt, sugar, pepper, five spice powder & chicken powder. Stir well. Set a side
2. In a wok, put about 2 tbsp oil fry the onion n shitake mushrooms & shrimp till fragrance or slightly brown. Then add minced meat. Add yam n carrot n stir for a while. Add fish sauce n light sauce. Stir well. Remove from fire and set a side.
3. In the same wok pour in the rice flour mixture, stir until the liquid mixture thicken. Add 2.
4. Transfer into a round cake pan or steaming pan.
5. Boil a wok of water. When water is boiled, place the container of yam mixture into the wok, then put on the wok lid n steam for 40-50min.
6. After 40min. The steam cake is done
Note: seasoning is all estimation. You may adjust to your desire