Tuesday 25 April 2017

Red Beans Paste for Mochi




Was at a shopping mall in the east last weekend. Noticed there was this Japan festival at the shopping mall. Daughter was happy when she saw the mochi stall. However, when she saw the price for one small mochi cost $3/pc, she changed her mind. No matter how I tried to encourage her to buy and eat, she  refused. She said it was too over priced and refused to buy. 

This inspired me to homemade mochi with homemade red beans paste. Sunday came home took out the packet of red beans, rinse and soak the beans. Left it in the fridge and forgotten about it. 

First thing first, I went into Google and search for mochi. Found this blog "justoneCookbook". Follow the instruction how the author cooked the red beans paste. I had done it other way last year when I bake for traditional mooncake. However, I forget to write down the process. Today, to prevent I forget again, I wrote it right away.😊

I have made adjustment to the recipe to suit my taste. Yes, I had reduced the sugar from the original 200g to 100g. Personally, with 50% reduction of sugar, I still find it is very sweet. Next round perhaps to use only 80g of sugar. 

So far, only beans paste. Will do the mochi skin the next few days. Do stay tuned..😊

Here it goes...beans paste ..

Ingredients :
1cup red bean(bigger one) , approx. 200g
Water
1/2 cup sugar (approx. 100g)
A pinch of salt

Method:
1. Wash red bean. Soak red in water overnight or approx. 8-12hours. I soaked mine more than 24hours in fridge as i forgotten about it.

2. Pour away the water that use for soaking bean. Put bean a pot or sauce pan. Put water till it is 2inc above the bean. Cook the bean on high heat.

3. Once it is boiling, turn off the fire. Cover the pot with lid. And let it stand for 5min (I let stand 10min)

4. Pour away the water. Fill with fresh water till it is 2inch above beans. Turn on fire on high heat and cook until bean is soft. That is when the bean is press, it is easily mashed. Note: Continue to add more water if it dry up.  The whole process take about 1.5hours.

5. Once bean is soft, turn up the heat and add sugar in 2 or 3 batches. Then add salt. Continue to cook until it is dry and when you draw a line on the beans,  you could see the bottom of the pot. Turn off fire. Cover with lid. The beans will thicken once it is cool.



 Once it is cooled, refridge if you are not using it immediately. Beans paste can be kept in freezer for a month or chiller for a week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment